Thursday, February 4, 2010

Teaching Creativity


I know reading this it may sound a bit boring, but what can I say. I believe given the tools one can do amazing things. My children never had a coloring book, but they had a THINGS TO DO box. They had the encouragement to invent, to use their imagination. In the box were crayons, colored paper, bottle caps, cute jars, colored string, beads, clay and loads of paper that their daddy brought home from work. They were free to use the backside.

I started my lesson plans yesterday for teaching Creativity. I know 10% of creativity is inborn but with encouragement I believe you can bring out 90% amazing qualities. Like harvesting wheat, you plant the seed, water it and watch it grow to ripening and then you harvest.

I will teach all the basics, give assignments and watch them interpret the assignment. I started with drawing. I ask them to do a simple drawing, one that they could re-draw in many ways. (ie) vertical, horizontal, oblique and on and on. We will go on to color and pictorial organization some rules. I wrote a notebook on the principals and elements of design in 2008. I will be using that as well. I will teach technique in watercolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment