Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy Fourth of July



I reading Lori Anderson’s blog Pretty Things this week as I always do. She mentioned that we could feature people we admire in our blog in a way to gain followers. I thought that was a really good idea. Well, this week one of my students donated books and magazines as she is cleaning out her stash. While going through, I came upon a book by one of my favorite poets, Helen Steiner Rice. The book poem's title God Bless America. In it I found a poem "Independence Day". I was inspired to be the best that I could be. Here it is:

GOD BLESS AMERICA and keep her strong and free,
Safe from “all our enemies” wherever they may be.
For enemies are forces that often dwell within,
Things that seem so harmless become a major sin,
Little acts of selfishness grow into lust and greed
And make the love of power our idol and creed…
For all our wealth and progress are as
Worthless as can be
Without the faith that made us great
And kept our nation free,
And while bit’s hard to understand the
Complexities of war,
Each one of us must realize that we are fighting for
The principals of freedom and decency of man,
But all of this must be achieved according to God’s plan
So help us as Americans to search deep down inside
And discover if the things we do are always justified,
And teach us to walk humbly and closer in Thy ways
And give us faith and courage
And put purpose in our days,
And make each one of us aware that each
Must do his part
For in the individual is where peace must
Have its start.
For a better world to live in where all are
Safe and free
Must start with faith and hope
And love deep in the heart of “me”



Have a blessed Fourth of July!

1 comment:

  1. Happy 4th of July, Sandy! I hope you have a fun day today celebrating the holiday. Thank you for sharing the patriotic poem!

    ReplyDelete